Gluten-Free Buckwheat Pancakes
Makes about 12 pancakes
1 TBS honey
1 tsp vanilla
6 TBS melted coconut oil
coconut milk or whole milk (approx. 1 cup)
1/2 cup buckwheat
1/4 cup almond flour
6 TBS coconut flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1. Using a wire whisk, mix together eggs, melted coconut oil, milk, honey, and sea salt.
2. Continuing to whisk, add the dry ingredients until thoroughly mixed.
(I found that I needed to add extra coconut milk because the batter was too stiff.)
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter (or coconut oil) in a skillet on a medium flame.
4. Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of batter onto skillet making pancakes about 3-4 inches in diameter.
5. Serve with lots of butter and real maple syrup, or honey! Yum!
This was my first foray into grain-free cooking. I started with a basic coconut flour recipe for reference, and by the time I was done I had made my own completely different concoction, and (perhaps it's beginner's luck) it turned out perfectly! I have at times found there to be a sort of bitter aftertaste to many gluten / grain - free baked things, but I think this may be due to garbanzo flour, so I did not include any garbanzos. There was absolutely no bitter taste at all. The pancakes were denser, of course than nutrition-free buttermilk pancakes, but they still turned out fluffy due to the baking powder, and the flavor was nutty, buttery, and very filling. Everyone gave it a big thumbs-up!