Here is what has worked well for us:
1. Math U See: This has always worked well for us and math generally just gets done because I'm afraid not to get math done. We will continue through zeta and then use Mr. D Math for pre-algebra.
2. Jr. Analytical Grammar: Gets done because we're grammar geeks and we don't mind doing it.
2. Apologia Anatomy and Physiology: This works great for us because we have partnered with a friend and have a weekly co-op to get this done. That weekly point of accountability is so helpful.
3. US Geography: Again, we are co-opping with this.
4. The Fallacy Detective: um...co-op.
5. Art: because I teach it at...waitforit...co-op.
6. Violin lessons via face-time with our beloved teacher who moved away. Who knew this could be a thing? It is working out very well.
|first landscape paintings|
And for the high-schooler in my life:
7. Well-Trained Mind Academy: Son is taking Chemistry, History, Rhetoric and Literature through this online school. It gets done because I'm not his teacher. He has straight A's. It is rigorous and demanding, but the teachers are excellent, and having the pressure of having to meet someone else's expectations has been a very good thing.
8. Mr. D Math: Wow! I cannot say enough good about Mr. D Math. Why? Because he is a great teacher. It has been A's in math for my son and he doesn't hate it. That is huge progress from a kid who despised math until this year.
We have done some history and literature, just not as much as I typically cover. We have covered primarily the period from Napoleon through Queen Victoria, and are currently working on a lap book that will contain mini-books and reports about various aspects of that era.
So the year has not been a flop--far from it in fact. We have learned a lot about what we need to motivate us (extrinsic deadlines are extremely helpful!) and we have three months left to finish well. Upon finishing well, we are looking forward to our third Carribean diving trip! We will return to Roatan, Honduras to dive. We could not be more excited.
Below are some of our adventures from this school year so far.
|testing the effectiveness of "cerebrospinal fluid"|
|giving Thomas Jefferson the thumbs-up|
|deep in conversation at the National Gallery of Art|
|NGA: what's not to love?|
|learning the process of mixing colors|
|cold and windy day in Colonial Williamsburg|
|dressed for the occasion...|
|happy golden years...|
|getting outfitted for Colonial Williamsburg|